Voxel mesh generation using Unity Burst
Unity
I experimented with Unity Burst code compiler. I used it to generate blocks and group them into manageable chunks. The idea I wanted to implement - make fully dynamic day/night cycle which depends on the latitude of where the player is. I thought that making worlds where sunlight directly affects how much vegetation is grown depending if the block is shaded or not most of the day. I could also use same system for wind, temperature control (imagine building your home and it's too hot/cold to live in it). This feature was always lacking in Minecraft and it makes it less realistic.
Result: mediocre. Syncronizing Burst jobs is a lot of work, because you need to work using native arrays and other data structures, which are finicky and it takes a lot of guess work to make something using it. Even now it logs a bunch of errors and I have no energy or need to investigate further. Also - Unity rendering of a lot of voxels at the same time is very slow and it crushed my motivation. I would need to do more culling and optimization to make it playable.

Comments
Post a Comment